Thursday 31 January 2013

Wood Badge


The Wood Badge
This is indeed a happy entry! After 2 years and 19 modules I finally completed my training and validation for the Wood Badge.

I have not been awarded the badge yet, that's still to come, but to mark the end of a successful training, what better way than to stick a few names, dates and facts, what I want to remember in the years to come, here on my scouting blog!

I knew I finished the validation last Monday when I went to the training center prepared for my final 4 modules; 8, 9, 16 and 19 and got them validated by Richard... Thanks Richard!

Today however I actually saw it with my own eyes! I went to check out my online profile at the scouts.org.uk and I noticed the little blue bar all the way up to 100% and all my modules green and marked as completed!

The Getting Started Pin

From my first validation on the 29-09-2011 till my latest one on the 28-01-2013 it's been a trip. It started a bit earlier than September 2011, around May that year, when I joined the 47th and started my first training course, the one called "Getting Started".

With the "Getting Started" done you can proceed, if you like, to train for the Wood Badge. Looking at the training modules, realizing the task at hand and enjoying the whole learning experience I decided to follow the Harmonized Learning courses offered by the Berkshire Scouts. Training with them was an amazing experience and got to know many new leaders who were starting their scouting in Berkshire just like I was.

My validators were Barry at the start and then Richard and Margaret but mainly Richard, who had a very open and friendly approach to me, my evidence and presentation. He will see the good work in you and in what you submit for validation, even if you have not spotted it, as we usually do more than we realize.

So with the Wood Badge done, whats next? Well, training is an on going process in scouting and I got to set some new goals with one already in progress, getting a Nights Away Permit.

Then I would like to be a fully qualified First Aider and a bit later, when the cost and time permits, Mountain Leader, Hillwalking Permit.

Let's see what else there is!

No comments:

Post a Comment