Thursday 10 May 2012

Best Saturday Ever

I want to start my blog entries with the best Saturday Ever! It was an experience to shout about!

But first I realise that keeping this blog all this time without an entry is a bit wastefull, so in the next few posts I will backfill some of the info i wish to keep here even if it is not 100% timely to the current events in my scouting life.

So with this out of the way let's shout about the amazing Scouting Skills Day!

Organised by the Berkshire Scouts, our county, it took place just outside Reading at a place called Paddicks Patch (Norris's Copse) in a small woodland area. A marvelous day out in the woods with the weather playing game, keeping dry after the wettest April for a long time.

Main Site
Scouting Skills
The skills on offer were many!

Hammock and Tarpoline, Staves and Woggles made from sticks coppiced fresh, Rope making from twine, Pioneering structures and Knots, Firelighting skills and open fire cooking, Camping cooking equipment, Tent pitching and Facilities setup (like toilets and kitchens etc).
There was also an ad-hoc request for axe handling and use that was met!

We were free to group up and go to each station as we liked, no need to formalities as the day was long and there was enough time to cover at least 3 or 4 skills.

It was a good thing that we did not feel presure to attend at each skill for a set time as we found that when we enjoyed something we could spend extra time on that!

Yes I missed a few stations/skills but there's always next time!

Fire Circle
Fire Circle
At lunch time we all gathered around the fire circle, some food was on offer but we mostly had what we brought with us.

If you never had lunch around a fire circle you are missing out big time!

Ever since I was a young scout I always remember that the fire circle was the heart of scouting.

This one was part of the local scouts group, the 3rd Woodley, and I wish we had one outside our scout hut!

What I took out of this experience?

Lots of new friends in scouting, some i knew from other courses and some i met now. All a very good bunch of people with their priorities right, If I may add!

Axe Handling
A lot of good tips and advice on how and why we use hammocks and tarpouline covers! Knots that slide and hold, tree hugging knots and techniques that keep you safe when suspended, ways to keep you warm at night and dry when the rain comes.

I got to practice and learn first hand on how to light a fire with a strike, tools and quipment you need to do so and advice to make a fire happen without the dissapointment that comes with a burned twig that doesnt light!

Lots of good advice about camping equipment, the amazing Kelly Kettle and Trangia cooker system!

And a stick! I love that stick! I will finish it off and stick a picture up here at a later post!

Check out my other blog entry here where I have researched what we did and kept notes on where to find equipment and tools.


And thats all from the amazing Saturday Scouting Skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment